Alright, so after getting out and seeing some teams, as well as, talking to people and researching as best I could. I have come up with my picks for the 2014 football season. It looks to me to be a two or three team race, but most everyone is capable of beating teams that you wouldn't expect. I have my list of predicted finish which also includes league and overall records.
1. SMCC 7-0, 8-1 The Falcons have been waiting for this senior class ever since they arrived and they may have the best RB in the league with junior Justin Carrabino.
2. Milan 6-1, 7-2 The Big Reds have won fourteen straight league games and boast some excellent transfers to go along with the talented C. J. Duffiney and Trace Lindeman.
3. Grosse Ile 4-3, 6-3 The Red Devils welcome back one of the best players in the league QB Andrew Mitroka. Depth will play a key role as injuries really hurt GI last season.
3. Airport 4-3, 4-5 People appear to be sleeping on the Jets this season. They boast a good stable of backs and may have the best lineman in the league in senior Tyler Girt.
5. Huron 3-4, 5-4 The Chiefs boast an abundance of talent offensively, but their defense is what will need to carry them. Look for junior QB Matt Hartwick to have a great season.
6. Jefferson 2-5, 4-5 The Bears appear to be headed back to respectability. They will not be an easy win for anyone this season. Senior Carter Paddy will be one of the best two-way lineman in the league.
6. Riverview 2-5, 4-5 The Pirates graduated a ton of talent from last seasons team. First year head coach Derek Mclaughlin's team is probably a year away, but don't be surprised if Riverview jumps up toward the top of the league standings.
8 Flat Rock 0-7, 1-8 The Rams will be much improved this season, but that won't bring the team out of the basement. The offense is capable, but the defense will have to come together if the Rams are to have any success.
So there you have it. My opinion on the league this season. Milan will make a run, but I just don't know if they have the team to win it again. SMCC has a ton of speed, size and talent so they will be a tough team for anyone to beat. GI has some great players, but I'm not sure if they have enough good ones to make a run. Airport is the team that may let me down this season. I may be giving them too much credit to win four league games, but we shall see. Huron has to find a way to play defense. If the "D" steps up then they may make the playoffs. I think Jefferson is going to be much improved. The Bears will step up and bite somebody ahead of them. Riverview is a real dark horse. They could make me look foolish. Don't be surprised if they win 6 or 7 games. Flat Rock is just in a tough situation, getting better, but not quite there yet.
Question? Contact the blog directly at email@example.com